Saturday, February 4, 2012

More on Decadence


For still the vision awaits its appointed time; it hastens to the end--it will not lie. If it seems slow, wait for it; it will surely come; it will not delay.
-Habakkuk 2:3

I recently saw a segment of a TV show in which a character who was running for office was practicing a speech. It went something like this: "We must press on to the fulfillment of the American dream by recapturing our core values and making sure that all Americans are free from want in their quest for that dream.” When asked what that meant, he replied, “Who cares? It keeps me from having to deal with sticky issues that might cost me the election.”

This is a parody of what we all know: political language is becoming increasingly decadent, meaning that familiar words have strong emotional, but weak intellectual, content. I wrote about this in more detail in my 2008 blogs. Those dealt with Rosenstock’s analysis of what is necessary for cultural revolutions (good or bad) to occur: decadence of language, followed by a search for an articulate word, followed by the bringing forward of a lost word into the future. We are in a period of decadence in America, in the culture, but also in the church. Both are looking for an articulate word.

I know I’ve beaten this decadence/articulation horse to death. Two things have revived it in me. One is, of course, the fact that this is an election year. I am so cynical that I don’t want to hear the debates. Is there a real native son out there who isn’t mouthing the old mantras? I don’t think I’m the only one who feels that way.

The other reason I can’t leave this horse alone is a well done ad by the Orthodox Church that has been popping up on Facebook. It reminded me of Nathan Bedford Forrest’s explanation of why he won so many battles: “Get there fustest with the mostest.” Orthodoxy is telling us that whatever doctrine or experience we may have, it has beat us to it. They are the fustest with the mostest. I have no bone to pick with Orthodoxy. I like to think that my life as a Christian has been enriched by exposure to it. What I do roll my eyes over is another call to the True Church. Rome has been doing the same thing in its ads lately, though they are aimed more at lapsed Catholics than at converts. Salt Lake too is in the ad business.

All this proves that we are in a decadent period that is experiencing the loss of articulation, and we are trying to fill the void with what is at hand. The word, which is old and new at the same time, has not come forth yet, that is, the word that takes the church beyond her divisions and pre-conceptions. All this foment is proof of its absence. Our assumption is that we have it hidden somewhere and have some control over it. It certainly will come, because the word is the Word, but it will come in its own time and on its own terms. Prayer may be more useful now than a quest.

1 comment:

  1. William Butler Yeats (1865-1939)
    THE SECOND COMING

    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

    Surely some revelation is at hand;
    Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
    The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
    When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
    Troubles my sight: a waste of desert sand;
    A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
    A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
    Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
    Wind shadows of the indignant desert birds.

    The darkness drops again but now I know
    That twenty centuries of stony sleep
    Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
    And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
    Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

    ReplyDelete